The most famous endurance race in the world, marked by sportsmanship and quest for performance, has told an heroic chapter of automobile history since 1923.
In 2013, this mythical race which has seen the most beautiful duels of manufacturers and drivers of the legend, will celebrate its 90th anniversary.
- 1923: First edition of the “24 Heures du Mans”
- 1930: Bentley wins for the 5th time, this is the saga of the “Bentley Boys”
- 1949: Luigi Chinetti wins the event with Ferrari
- 1955: A dreadful accident in the first hours of the race causing the death of 80 people
- 1967: The “Race of the Century”, 300,000 spectators throng to attend the fight of the duel Ford against Ferrari / Breaking through of the 5,000 km mark for the first time!
- 1970: First victory for Porsche and making of the film Le Mans with Steve McQueen
- 1971: Flying start and not standing start anymore
- 1972: Matra, Pescarolo and Graham Hill win. Hill is the only driver having won in Le Mans, in Indianapolis and being F1 world champion
- 1980: Rondeau becomes the first driver who wins in Le Mans driving his own car
- 1988: Speed record of 405 km/h by the prototype WM with a Peugeot engine
- 1991: Victory of Mazda, first and only Japanese manufacturer having won the event
- 1998: 16th and last victory of Porsche. A record!
- 2002: Making of the film Michel Vaillant
- 2006: First victory of a diesel engine in Le Mans
- 2008: Tom Kristensen wins for the 8th time the event with Audi
- 2010: Lap record by the Peugeot 908 HDI FAP in 3’19”074, which means 246.463 km/h on average
- 2011: 13.85’’ difference on the finishing line between the winning Audi and the Peugeot
- 2012: A hybrid car puts its name on the list of winners: the Audi R18 e-tron quattro
- 2013: Victory of the Audi R18 e-tron quattro driven by the Duval / Kristensen / McNish. Nb: Ninth victory of Tom Kristensen, winners recordman.
THEY HAVE WON LE MANS
Alfa Romeo – Aston Martin – Audi – Bentley – BMW – Bugatti – Ferrari – Ford– Jaguar– Matra – Mazda –McLaren – Mercedes – Peugeot – Porsche – Renault...
Bob Wolleck - Derek Bell – Graham Hill – Henri Pescarolo – Jacky Ickx – Mario Andretti – Paul Newman – Steve McQueen – Tom Kristensen...
For more info visit: http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/